View Single Post
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Ghost On The Highway Offline
Antihero
I've been here a while

Name: Ghost

Points: 16,726, Level: 18 Points: 16,726, Level: 18 Points: 16,726, Level: 18

Re: College advice please? - November 24th 2011, 11:42 PM

Stanford is a reach for most people, myself included. Commence stat-bragging/dick-sizing lol (4.6 weighted GPA, 1490 SAT, 34 ACT, 800s on SATII, National Merit scholar, Honors/AP's, band, ski team, editor in chief of newspaper, etc.) I didn't really consider Stanford because I couldn't live in California, but I'm reasonably certain I wouldn't get in. I didn't have enough leadership experience, only 2 AP classes, no science/math national awards, only "small scale" volunteering, etc. I also didn't work during high school and was too shy to interview.

Not saying you don't have a chance, just that's its very hard. What are you interested in studying? Is there a cultural/climatological/political/social environment you'd prefer? I'm happy to talk or recommend schools if you want. FTR I ended up at Vanderbilt with a minor scholarship from National Merit and later transferred to Michigan -- 20 miles from home. And I was one of those kids who wanted to go FAR AWAY from home at first. Things change.

The neon burns a hole in the night, and the Freon burns a hole in the sky.
You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.