View Single Post
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
artpaper Offline
Sock Wearer
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 7,539, Level: 12 Points: 7,539, Level: 12 Points: 7,539, Level: 12

Question Parents and Religion - November 27th 2011, 06:27 AM

Hello people I am new to these forums and as you can see, I would really appreciate some advice.
Well, first of all, I'm having problems with my parents and their religion.
They're Christian but they don't put themselves into and denomination because they think what they believe in is the true Christianity. (church website: mcgi.org/en/)

Honestly, I don't care for religion. I rarely pay attention in church because I have language difficulties (the doctrines are in Tagalog w/ English subtitles. Reading subtitles doesn't make it very compelling) and I have no motivation to learn. Still, they make me and my siblings go every weekend, determined on getting us to learn and be just as devoted as they are.

Well, my problem is that because of religion, I, along with my 2 other sisters, are not allowed to:
1. Wear make up
2. Cut our hair (My hair goes down to my butt ;_; I secretly trim it sometimes)
3. Paint our nails (wtf?)
4. Wear skirts/ dresses that go above our knees unless we wear leggings
5. Wear pants (They let us do this anyways)
6. Wear shirts without sleeves (=_=?)
7. Celebrate any holidays except birthdays (ex. Christmas- they don't think Jesus was born at that time, Halloween - evil and crap, Easter, Thanksgiving - why bother?)

If I explained the amount of problems these restrictions bring me, it would take forever.

I plan to tell them about my want to be agnostic when I'm 18 but I'm pretty sure I'll still be living with them :x I'm 14 now and these rules are killing me. I feel like I'm missing out on the full teenage experience...

It scares me to talk to them because they are just so passionate about religion and getting us on "the path of righteousness." They'll probably tell me how I'm choosing the road to hell or some crap like that. They know that I don't look forward to church but if I told them I really wanted to stop going, I'm sure they would go ballistic. I really don't like conflict or confrontation. Since they're so religious, I'm scared they'll reject me for rejecting their religion... :\

All I want is to have a say with my hairstyle and have the chance to experiment with make up I just want to have optimum cuteness! Is that so bad? Gawsh! What should I do?! ;_; I would really appreciate advice! Thanks!