View Single Post
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
NonIndigenous Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Points: 32,114, Level: 25 Points: 32,114, Level: 25 Points: 32,114, Level: 25

Re: The Economy, College, and the BS You're Fed in HS - November 30th 2011, 06:59 AM

I've been overboiling with this mind-wrenching issue since 15 I think. Probably earlier, but I only consciously became aware of it at 15. It's like everyone's set on a rail track from a young age, and almost forced and brainwashed into believing there's no way to be successful other than going through all the schooling, exams, more exams, and more more exams etc. And then spending 10 to 20 years, beating about the bush in an office with bosses breathing down your neck running your life pretty much. Then you're 50 before you realise and wake up thinking "shit, wtf have I achieved". For some people it's enough if they have a family, which keeps them happy, others, like myself need more (unfortunately, I'm like that, need more MORE MOAR!!)

The whole economy is becoming centred around having the right qualification and right piece of paper to show for it, and less around common sense. It's moving towards bureaucracy. It sucks. In another 20 years, people will probably be studying until the age of 30. Don't get me wrong, education is useful, and I'm damn grateful for mine now that I think I've matured enough to appreciate it, but what's the point in going as far as pushing yourself to information overload, if you're hardly even going to put it to good use???

Anyway, I take pride and arrogance in being defiant towards all this BS. The past two years of my life have been a shitpool, hopefully I can get a grip again. Enough of that. lol

I took construction management/engineering for my university degree for the main reason that the knowledge is the most practical to me. It allows me to directly seize control of what will probably be my largest investment and asset in the near future, my house/property. Plus I've always been interested in it, but that actually came second. Any other course... I would have probably felt is a waste of time, even music, despite my ongoing interest in it.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.