Thread: Medication.
View Single Post
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! Offline
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25

Re: Medication. - December 5th 2011, 09:52 PM

I don't have any personal experiences to offer in terms of taking the medications, however, I have experience on the pharmacological side. There are various classes of medications and often medications within the same class use similar mechanisms to achieve the desired results. All the anti-depressants you mentioned (with the exception of Aripiprazole/Abilify) are SSRIs or SARIs. You may require a change in dosage, different medications in the same classes or a different class of medications. It's very much a hit-or-miss, some people respond almost perfectly to the first anti-depressant they're given, whereas others don't.

Your psychiatrists may not mention this to you as it's a controversy among the scientific community, but psychotherapy has often been implicated as just as if not more effective than anti-depressants. However, like medications, psychotherapy has a huge unknown because effectiveness depends not only on the method used but more on the relationship between you and the psychotherapist. If you think he/she is a giant cock and don't have a positive attitude going into the session, chances are you're not going to come out with a positive attitude.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)