View Single Post
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Ghost On The Highway Offline
Antihero
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Ghost

Points: 16,726, Level: 18 Points: 16,726, Level: 18 Points: 16,726, Level: 18

Re: Medication. - December 7th 2011, 04:29 PM

I agree with "The Man" (not like *The Man* but like the guy who posted above...lol ) Citalopram, Prozac, and Sertraline are all SSRI's, Trazodone is a serotonin agonist IIRC and antipsychotics aren't really useful in treating most cases of depression. Wellbutrin may be a good medication to try, as it acts primarily on dopamine and noradrenaline, which regulate the brain's reward system (motivation, pleasure, etc.) and cognition. I'm on Venlafaxine, which is the first A/D that has helped me, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it because of the nasty side effects and withdrawal symptoms. I also take Lamotrigine, which is a mood stabilizer of questionable efficacy IMO.

I also finally found a therapist who isn't a complete charlatan and who I enjoy talking to (after 6 previous idiots). At first I wanted a therapist who was the opposite of me -- outgoing, female, confident, etc. In the end I ended up with an introverted male psychologist, which forced me to do more of the talking and in the end really helped.

Obviously, if there are underlying factors that contribute to your depression, those need to be addressed (e.g. abuse, relationship problems, school, work, etc.) My problems are mostly related to relationships (or lack thereof), substance abuse and other "addictions," and medication has helped me have the courage and strength to solve them. That's the key -- meds can help you get back to a point where you can actually do something about your problems, but at some point you will have to take the initiative or nothing will get better.

The neon burns a hole in the night, and the Freon burns a hole in the sky.
You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.