View Single Post
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,958, Level: 26 Points: 33,958, Level: 26 Points: 33,958, Level: 26

Re: working at student disability services. - December 22nd 2011, 02:13 AM

Do your best to treat them like you would anyone else and maybe say something like "Let me know if you need anything" that way they feel comfortable asking and they don't feel like you're treating them any different. A lot of times people with disabilities have grown up with them and have learned to ask for what they need, if anything. It's also a good idea to talk to someone who works there and has been doing it longer.

When dealing with people you know, I think how you handle it depends how well you know the person. If they're your friend, then go ahead and say hi, otherwise I would let them say hi to you first and personally, I would avoid bringing it up with them in another setting unless they do so first. It's likely that they want to be treated as normally as possible and they may not appreciate your focusing on what's different about them. Or they just may not be comfortable discussing it for a variety of reasons, for example they are with other people who don't know about it and/or they don't feel comfortable sharing it with those people or at that particular time.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte