View Single Post
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Points: 32,429, Level: 25 Points: 32,429, Level: 25 Points: 32,429, Level: 25

Re: What can my doctor tell my parents? - December 28th 2011, 10:37 PM

The doctor can't tell your mother anything without YOUR permission. There is something called patient/doctor confidentiality. They take this oath when they become doctors, and if they break it, are putting themselves at risk for losing their licenses to practice medicine.

I can understand your mother being curious, and you did the right thing by explaining this exam is normal amongst teenage girls. I had my first pap test done when I was 16. Of course, it's more common once you turn 21, but since you're sexually active, these tests need to be done.

If any of the tests being performed come up positive (say for pregnancy or an STD) the doctor will tell YOU first. You are their patient, your mother is not. You're old enough to take responsibility for yourself health wise. Your mother isn't even allowed in the room when the tests are performed. If they are, you could always ask your mom for some privacy.

Over all, you have nothing to worry about. Once those test results come back, it would be up to you to tell them about it, not the doctor. As I said, they could lose their license for breaking that patient/doctor confidentiality. Even if your mother asked, they couldn't give out information about you without your written consent first.

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.