View Single Post
  (#28 (permalink)) Old
OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! Offline
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25

Re: why don't doctors regulate when you enter puberty? - January 3rd 2012, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme1119 View Post
no actually for precocious puberty it's halted by the hormone lhrh. It blocks sex hormones.
You read incorrectly, although after going through your links, the first link uses poor wording. LHRH is not used, rather leuprolide acetate (LA) is often used as a synthetically-produced LHRH analog. In a very short and crude summary, LHRH is naturally-produced and the goal of the treatment outlined in your links is to overload your body with LHRH. This may seem a bit strange but it has to do with relying on positive and negative feedback loops of the hypothalamic-pituitary-testicular control system.

Normally, LHRH is secreted to the testes, alongside androgens (i.e. testosterone). When there is insufficient LHRH, the hypothalamus will signal the pituitary gland to release more, as well as more testosterone released. When there is too much LHRH, a protein called inhibin will be released in order to reduce LHRH and FSH. Also, androgens will help reduce LHRH and LH. Knowing this, the purpose of LA is to somewhat block LHRH, causing a reduction of FSH and LH. As mentioned above, there is an alternate source of providing testosterone, however, it mostly provides a small amount. Unfortunately, there are quite a lot of health complications with using LA, at least in adults.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)