dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Points: 19,936, Level: 20 Points: 19,936, Level: 20 Points: 19,936, Level: 20

Re: Ben Rothlesberger's Rape Case - January 21st 2012, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
She is stating that the reason rapists go free is that we do not believe those who accuse others of rape without evidence. That was my interpretation of it anyway. It seemed to me as though she was blaming the low rates of imprisonment of accused rapists on the fact that we do not automatically believe them; disbelief is the view we hold by default, and rightly so, anything other than disbelief and the accused is guilty by default.
I underlined that word in your post, because this is where I think you're going wrong. Amy actually said that disbelief is "yet another reason", implying more than one reason and therefore that it is a reason as opposed to the reason. Testimonies not being taken seriously does lead to a sizeable amount of case attrition, so it is not a claim without merit.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick

Last edited by dr2005; January 22nd 2012 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Spelling fail.