Condom Queen
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Traci
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44

Re: Ben Rothlesberger's Rape Case - January 22nd 2012, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTank77 View Post
I feel that there's an actual movement afoot here to get rid of people's abilities to question the validity of rape accusations, to the point where I wouldn't be surprised if they'd go for the complete removal of due process when an accusation is made.
Funny, because if you read what I said, you know I said the opposite. I think when an accusation of rape is made, it should be taken seriously enough to be able to give them help, and be able to at least look for evidence to get the person accused in jail. I'm not saying remove due-process, but you guys are acting like it's easy to just accuse somebody of rape and get them jailed, when that is precisely the opposite of the case. It's actually very difficult to get charged with rape.

Quote:
they need evidence for it to be brought to court in any shape or form. Simply accusing another person is not, and should not be enough to warrant an arrest and conviction.
Not arguing with you, and you also don't know if she had evidence or not? He could have really been avoiding some crap hitting the fan.

Quote:
The argument of responsibility is for another thread. I will say that the victim is never to blame, but the insanity revolving around the line of thought that having women take more steps to protect themselves is making them responsible for their own rapes and supports rape culture is the dumbest fucking line of thought I've ever heard in my life, and is probably the only clearcut culture that is perpetuating rape.
It is making them responsible. There are no steps you can take to avoid getting raped, most of the time rape happens between you and an acquaintance, somebody that you trust. Not wearing a short skirt and bringing your drink to the bathroom are stupid old fashioned tips that don't work because they only protect you against stranger rape, something that happened in less than 1% of rapes. There are no ways to protect yourself, yes, there are safer situations to put yourself in, like you should probably not get super drunk at a party, but lots of girls get super drunk at a party, it does not give somebody the right to rape them.

Quote:
Also, I think we need to redefine what is and isn't rape, because I see way too much leeway in throwing the word around.
Rape is sex without consent, so not only the presence of a no, but the absence of a yes.

But really, is it really that hard to get away with rape? No, it's not. There's no male-sexism going on, policemen aren't out there trying their best to arrest a bunch of guys because women want money. So this isn't an issue for you guys. Ask consent from your partners, and you never really have to worry about this anyway?

something burning?