TigerTank77 Offline
Rage is the best anesthetic
I've been here a while

Name: Ben

Points: 29,500, Level: 24 Points: 29,500, Level: 24 Points: 29,500, Level: 24

Re: Ben Rothlesberger's Rape Case - January 22nd 2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee❤ View Post

It is making them responsible. There are no steps you can take to avoid getting raped, most of the time rape happens between you and an acquaintance, somebody that you trust. Not wearing a short skirt and bringing your drink to the bathroom are stupid old fashioned tips that don't work because they only protect you against stranger rape, something that happened in less than 1% of rapes. There are no ways to protect yourself, yes, there are safer situations to put yourself in, like you should probably not get super drunk at a party, but lots of girls get super drunk at a party, it does not give somebody the right to rape them.
No no no no no no no no. This is bad. BAD. Turning women into helpless targets is baaaaaaaaaaad. And I'm not talking about clothing or drinking, I'm talking about like, oh I don't know, carrying a stun gun on your person to defend yourself.

I mean, the best advice we can give women is to vomit, because it might deter their attacker. Really? Vomit? How about "shoot your attacker in the face."

No one has the right to rape anyone. But dismissing any advice someone gives about defending yourself as "blaming the victim" is ignorant, any way you put it. We do not live in a perfect world, and we need to stop pretending we do.

Also, I say we need it redefined, because I have seen instances where a girl has slept with a man, after giving consent, only to revoke that consent after the act has happened, because she decided it was a mistake, and it's not right. Rare? Yes, but it happens. I've seen it twice, and the second time her friends, who all suggested she sleep with the guy in the first place, were all ready to testify on her behalf that she was raped.

Often I lie wide awake, thinking of things I could make.
But I don’t seem to have the parts to build them.
I am so scared of what will kill me in the end, for I am not prepared.
I hope I will get the chance to be someone, to be human.