dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Points: 19,936, Level: 20 Points: 19,936, Level: 20 Points: 19,936, Level: 20

Re: Ben Rothlesberger's Rape Case - January 22nd 2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTank77 View Post
No no no no no no no no. This is bad. BAD. Turning women into helpless targets is baaaaaaaaaaad. And I'm not talking about clothing or drinking, I'm talking about like, oh I don't know, carrying a stun gun on your person to defend yourself.

I mean, the best advice we can give women is to vomit, because it might deter their attacker. Really? Vomit? How about "shoot your attacker in the face."
And if the rapist is carrying a gun themself? What then? Or if they overpower the victim and take possession of the stun gun? Introducing weapons into the equation isn't a magic pill, and if anything only raises the odds of the victim being killed. Truth be told, the best defence against rape attempts is probably a swift kick to the genitalia - I don't know many blokes who can carry on an attack if that happens...

Quote:
No one has the right to rape anyone. But dismissing any advice someone gives about defending yourself as "blaming the victim" is ignorant, any way you put it. We do not live in a perfect world, and we need to stop pretending we do.
Probably the one bit I agree with.

Quote:
Also, I say we need it redefined, because I have seen instances where a girl has slept with a man, after giving consent, only to revoke that consent after the act has happened, because she decided it was a mistake, and it's not right. Rare? Yes, but it happens. I've seen it twice, and the second time her friends, who all suggested she sleep with the guy in the first place, were all ready to testify on her behalf that she was raped.
...and most of them would probably crumble under cross-examination if they're that fickle. Presumably it didn't even get to court given that you said they were ready to testify as opposed to them actually testifying, but changing the definition of rape simply because a minority of people are trying to take advantage of it is not the answer to the problem. That's a prime case of throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.