Thread: Triggering: Starting college.
View Single Post
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Storyteller. Offline
Spite and coffee.

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Charlie
Pronouns: they/them

Points: 106,677, Level: 46 Points: 106,677, Level: 46 Points: 106,677, Level: 46

Re: Starting college. - January 23rd 2012, 02:35 AM

Brittany. <3

I think it's good you made this thread. We're here to support you, and by letting us know how you're feeling and what's on your mind, we're better able to do that.

After everything you've had to deal with, it's understandable that the idea of college is completely scary. I'm at the same point as you now (I start Uni next month), and I know that out of my whole circle of friends, even those who've been dying to go to Uni for years, not a single one isn't scared. Just because you're scared doesn't mean you can't be excited, and eager, and other things as well.

So what if you get lost? Nobody expects you to be perfect; there'll be plenty of other people as nervous as you, and I'm sure the college will have ways to help people adjust (like my Uni has a program with Mentors, orientation days, etc), because it's natural for you to take a while to adjust to such a change. One thing that might help you is to take some chances. I've found that when I push myself, I actually get more out of it than if I just wait for things to happen. So get as involved as you can, and try doing new things (like talking to a stranger, or asking a question in class). Slowly build your confidence up.

Being SH free for so long is great, and I know you can go longer. For now, just try to find other ways to deal with your feelings of anxiety. Maybe go do something active, like going for a run or playing a sport, or take some time to relax, for example by reading a good book or having a bubble bath. You don't need self harm; you're stronger than that. You can get through this, okay?

I'm here for you, whatever you need. Don't ever think you're not important or you don't deserve support. You are a wonderful person who's just going through a tough spot, and there's nothing wrong with asking for some extra support.

Take care.

"Love means never having to say
you're a werewolf."