dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Points: 19,936, Level: 20 Points: 19,936, Level: 20 Points: 19,936, Level: 20

Re: Ben Rothlesberger's Rape Case - January 23rd 2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTank77 View Post
Or it might just piss them off and make them seriously injure kill their victim.
Having being on the receiving end of a proper strike to the groin area during a Jiu-Jitsu grading, I can assure you that you're in no position to do much of anything in that situation. In any event, the same could just as easily be applied in your example of pulling a gun on them, stun gun or otherwise.

Quote:
"Oh the attacker might be armed" is not a valid reason for saying that you shouldn't have something to defend yourself. Otherwise, you're just an even easier target.
No, but that wasn't what I said and you haven't actually answered my question as to what someone is supposed to do in that situation. By my reckoning, you simply end up with a standoff and it's more likely the attacker will be

Quote:
In the real world, the best defense against a rapist is something that incapacitates them as far as possible from the victim. Not getting up close and putting your life on your ability to kick accuratley and hard under duress.
In the real world, opportunities to pick someone off from a distance rarely happen, if at all, and certainly not in instances such as rape and sexual assault. As has already been pointed out, and as you apparently continue to ignore, the vast majority of rapes are carried out by persons known to the victim, usually partners or ex-partners. In those cases, the odds of such an opportunity arising are even more remote. That's why self-defence classes deal with what to do if someone is up close, rather than just saying "get a gun and shoot them"...

Quote:
And? Again, the knowledge that said female is armed with either a stun gun or an actual gun, generally is enough to deter most people. If the idea got around that most women were armed in such a fashion, people would be less likely to fuck with them. This is a fact.
One, it's your opinion and not a fact - fact implies empirical evidence to support it. Two, the alternative is that it leads to escalation and victims being shot themselves before being attacked. Not what I would call an improvement, if I'm honest.

Quote:
I don't see how you can predict someone becoming a rapist, especially if some are close friends and family, because no one would ever suspect them. Unless there is already a history of sexual abuse, there's not a whole lot of signs.
If it's applied in a blanket fashion, alongside general sex education, you don't need to be able to pick out the potential rapists. The idea is you nip it in the bud before it becomes a problem.

Quote:
Honestly, the idea of attempting to create a general profile for most rapists is going to create a lot of issues. Ever hear of the Schrodinger's Rapist theory? Imagine that, amplified.
See above.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick