dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Points: 19,936, Level: 20 Points: 19,936, Level: 20 Points: 19,936, Level: 20

Re: Ben Rothlesberger's Rape Case - January 23rd 2012, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTank77 View Post
I can assure you, that the confines of a friendly sparring competition and being attacked on the street are two COMPLETELY different things.
If you seriously think a Jiu-Jitsu grading is a "friendly sparring competition", I'd suggest you actually go to one. I can assure you friendly does not come into the equation. In my case, the person who struck me in that region did so with enough force to lift my feet off the ground, and I'm hardly a lightweight. If done properly, it can incapacitate an attacker long enough to get away, and that ultimately is more effective than pulling a gun on them and hoping they don't shoot first.

Quote:
Because in most situations, it has been empirically shown that when a stun gun or hand gun is produced by the defendant, the attacker will most likely leave the area. Most instances of a civilian drawing their self defense weapon end without a shot being fired.
Source?

Quote:
If the attacker is also armed, then yes it might be a standoff. But I'd rather have a standoff then be at a disadvantage.

Also, there's no reason to think if the attacker was armed, that he'd have any more experience or training than the armed victim.
Perhaps not, but it's also erroneous to presume the attacker will be taken down before they fire themselves, which seems to be the implication in all your arguments. What is equally conceivable is that the victim is shot, raped regardless and left with the aftermath of rape and the injuries resultant from the gunshot wound, which could potentially be fatal. That is a constant danger when talking about escalation such as you describe, and again why bringing weapons into the equation is not a magic pill as you allude to.

Quote:
You still have a better chance at deterring the situation than if you were unarmed.
Based on what, exactly?

Quote:
I would rather get shot attempting to defend myself than get raped, if I'm honest. Unless of course you'd like to sit there and say that being raped is a better alternative.
I think self-defence techniques aimed at preventing either are a better bet, to be honest. They tend to be more effective and also come without the same risk of being killed.

Quote:
Give me some clearcut, unmistakable examples of a "potential rapist" then.
Sorry, did you actually bother to read what I wrote? If you apply education in a blanket fashion and enforce positive attitudes from the outset, as I alluded to in my post, the "potential rapist" angle becomes completely redundant. If you target the general population with such a message, and in particular make people more aware about consent and basic respect, you reduce the likelihood of harmful attitudes developing. I don't exactly see what the problem is with that statement.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick