View Single Post
  (#41 (permalink)) Old
_sunsets64. Offline
dreaming of a glass castle...
Average Joe

Name: Anna

Points: 8,885, Level: 13 Points: 8,885, Level: 13 Points: 8,885, Level: 13

Re: Ben Rothlesberger's Rape Case - January 23rd 2012, 07:43 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of rape or abuse, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr2005
Sorry, did you actually bother to read what I wrote? If you apply education in a blanket fashion and enforce positive attitudes from the outset, as I alluded to in my post, the "potential rapist" angle becomes completely redundant. If you target the general population with such a message, and in particular make people more aware about consent and basic respect, you reduce the likelihood of harmful attitudes developing. I don't exactly see what the problem is with that statement.
The problem with that statement is that you're depending on the rapist, who already knows that rape is wrong, to suddenly come to his senses because you "educated" him that what he's doing is wrong.

Also, how the hell are you going to "enforce" positive attitudes?

No, actually, he's not--he's talking about educating children in school now to prevent this from continuing in generations to come. For example, educating in schools about the dangers of drug use has significantly reduced drug use over time (I could find the stats if you really wanted, but I'm sure this is a common fact by now--look at cigarettes if you want the most obvious example). By educating people about the dangers of abusive relationships, bullying and any type of rape or other violent behavior, these behaviors should go down. Abusive relationship education is just now starting to be implemented in schools, and anti-bullying education has been a movement for a little while. It will take time, and no, you can't just change rapists' way of thinking without real therapy for themselves, but you can prevent future people from turning into rapists through education.

"Those 3 words are said too much, but not enough" <3
"Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside while still alive. Never surrender."

PM/VM me if you ever need someone to talk to or just want to chat (:
http://liveforthememories.tumblr.com/