View Single Post
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Age of Ignorance Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Mitch

Points: 22,859, Level: 21 Points: 22,859, Level: 21 Points: 22,859, Level: 21

Re: To all those in college or university: - January 30th 2012, 03:59 AM

At the moment, I'm at Law School. Heading into second year this semester. I was previously doing a Bachelor of Business, but I found it to be utterly boring and I was generally disinterested and unmotivated.

After I do get my Bachelor of Laws (where I'm at, I've got three years left), I intend on doing what is called the Leo Cussins course. You basically pay $8,000 for a six month mock life. They situate you as a Barrister, in mock chambers, with a mock solicitor, a mock post office, a mock court room, mock briefs, mock post office, mock everything, really. You live your life as a lie for six months as experience.

After that, I'm intending on being a Law Clerk for a year as part of what used to be called articles (but is now called the Reader's course), and then sit the Bar exam and become a Barrister.

It's not entirely practical, considering that means I've got a year and a half without a cash flow, and soon to be no place to live. If that isn't practical by the time I finish, I may just get my Practicing Certificate and practice as a solicitor in a low-mid tier law firm for a few years, then I don't actually need to sit the Leo Cussins or the Reader's course. I can simply just sit the Bar exam.

As for how I came about choosing this, well, I was on the debating team in like sixth grade. I built up a tolerance to rules and regulations, and developed some pretty nifty arguments/techniques that I still use today. That was basically the kick-start to a law degree. When I reached 11th grade, I sat in a Legal Studies class. I eventually topped that, having been pretty interested in everything to do with the law by then. However, when I applied for University, I was torn between Law and Business. I applied for a double degree, but didn't get accepted because the university saw I had no practical legal experience. I then had Business as my second preference, thinking it would be an easier transition from High School to University. It got boring after a year, except the Business Law class (a compulsory subject for all Business students at my University), which, after almost acing it, I decided it was time to transfer. I am officially in love with this Law degree now.