View Single Post
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
TakeTheLeap Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Emily

Points: 19,139, Level: 20 Points: 19,139, Level: 20 Points: 19,139, Level: 20

Re: Alcohol in the classroom - January 31st 2012, 12:40 PM

I actually chose "other."
In general, I would say that no, alcohol has no place in a classroom. There's no reason why anyone should come to class drunk or drinking in class, especially because you or your parents are paying for your education and you should -want- to get the most out of it.
However, the one stipulation I have (and the reason I chose "other") is that I tend to consider it "okay" to drink on an exam day as long as it doesn't disturb anyone. I had a friend who would psych herself up SO much on exam day that she would make herself so nervous or so sick that she literally couldn't function to take the exam. So, she would take a shot or two before going into the exam to get her nerves under control.

The big difference in that scenario is that she made sure not to disturb anyone during class. She didn't actively drink during class, she didn't come into class stinking of booze, and she was never -drunk- in class.

I think my biggest problem with drinking in class is that it doesn't just affect you... It affects the learning environment for everyone else. I know I can't concentrate in class if I smell alcohol or someone is being obnoxious because of alcohol. I would much prefer you wait until after classes or be respectful enough to MY learning by not coming to class if you choose to drink.

“Don't get too comfortable with who you are at any given time. You may miss the opportunity to become who you want to be." ~Jon Bon Jovi