View Single Post
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
chickenonsteroids Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Points: 11,060, Level: 15 Points: 11,060, Level: 15 Points: 11,060, Level: 15

Re: Religion vs. Fairy Tales - February 16th 2012, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1 View Post
What our parents teach us does have an influence on us, but I don't believe that it makes the ultimate decision in our choosing. Also, I already said that I needed to do more research about God working in our hearts and why only some people have the faith to believe. I don't want to answer too quick and give a wrong answer.
If you were born in Saudi Arabia, how sure are you that you would have been 'saved' by the Christian God rather than Allah?

I ask because you seem pretty sure about your belief in your current God so if this influence is so powerful... why isn't he saving people from other religions?

To answer the original question I think that we're all born ignostic (neither atheist, agnostic or theist) but we just get influenced by our parents and our surroundings. If they were told the Bible or the Quran was a fairy tale they'd accept it. If they were taught it as fact they'd accept it too. I wish it was taught as a big metaphor rather than fact. You'd still have the benefits of following a character (Jesus) and you'd probably get rid of all the assholes committing atrocities in the name of their God. Then as people grow older they'll either move to deism or not believe in a theological god and depend on people rather than God. The idea of "what caused the big bang" would lead to deism and not a God that can intervene in our everyday lives. To me we'd have a better society or if not we'd still have the good acts that religious people do today and bad people can't throw the blame on someone else. We wouldn't have people making things "sacred" so they are never allowed to change. We would have a lot less rubbish about sexual inequality. All those who think things like homosexuality are wrong usually only have the statement "In the bible it says homosexuality is wrong blah blah blah but even though killing babies and plagues are seen as justice i'll just ignore that part so I can justify my stubbornness *more rubbish*".

Maybe i've become a little bit biased

Hey, guess why i smile a lot... because it's worth it

People who don't want you to think are never your friends.
Users of TeenHelp have rated post 813636 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!