(#9 (permalink)) Old
OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! Offline
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25

Re: Is ATHEISM a RELIGION? - February 28th 2012, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Void of Creation View Post
i have no idea what you just said, and i have an iq of 160 something. therefore, i doubt anyone but you understood your statement.
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words . Basically, the pastor was mixing two similar concepts: god and religion. There cannot be a god of atheism, so that part of the pastor's statement is nonsense but instead of throwing out the baby with the bath water, dr2005 referenced examples of philosophical beliefs involving a being yet still adhered to atheism (another example would be LaVeyan Satanism). His point was depending on the particular philosophical details of one's atheistic belief, you could advance an argument they are similar to religious beliefs. Since the pastor gave only a blanket statement, it's not entirely founded.

I guess those of us that did understand dr2005's statement have an IQ of over 160 something. For the record, IQ does not equate with intelligence, although that's a separate debate.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)