View Single Post
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
chickenonsteroids Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Points: 11,060, Level: 15 Points: 11,060, Level: 15 Points: 11,060, Level: 15

Re: Is ATHEISM a RELIGION? - February 29th 2012, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplemask View Post
Here is his response after I asked how atheism could be considered a religion.
" Atheism is a religion just as "dark" describes a state of light and "cold" describes a state of heat. Both of those terms describe an absence. The belief in the absence of God is itself, by definition, a belief system. And those who hold these beliefs and reject all others lead us to the religious indoctrination our students endure today, with the full blessing of government. (Especially in state colleges.) Atheism is not the lack of belief in a deity. It's the belief that there is no deity. Those are two fundamentally different concepts."

I only accepted that I don't believe in god less than six months ago. I have a lot of reading to do, and a lot of knowledge to gain. I know nothing about debate which is why I'm posting these things on here, but I'd like to hear what you think. Your responses are all very helpful and appreciated.
'a' is a prefix stating without
'theism' is the belief in a theological deity of some sort (i think someone can correct me)

sooooo.... a-theism is without god(s) it does not make a positive claim of 'there are no gods'. There have been arguments for the existence of god but in most cases they have been explained with natural causes that has evidence behind it. Not something supernatural (which is usually used to explain the unexplainable when they've contradicted themselves by explaining what is meant to be unexplainable).

Also, what is the point of forcing people to pray? That isn't a very nice thing to do. Yet, when they stop that he accuses schools with simply replacing them with another religion that isn't. lol.

Soon he'll be claiming that science requires just as much faith as the bible does and is a religion too. And that America was founded on Christian values.

There's a difference between atheism and godless cults.

Long story short, there may be better reasons to think there is no god but that does not lead to a positive claim, they're usually responses to arguments for the existence of god. He's just angry and needs a hug.

Hey, guess why i smile a lot... because it's worth it

People who don't want you to think are never your friends.