View Single Post
  (#34 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount71

Edit avatar

Re: Is ATHEISM a RELIGION? - March 5th 2012, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toz View Post
I may be mistaken in this, and I apologize if I am, but I'm afraid you're incorrect here:

Atheism isn't a positive statement: "There is no God." What the term atheism says is, "I lack faith in a God." That's it. Nothing more, or nothing less. When someone asserts that there is no god, they are what is called a Gnostic Atheist. Gnossos meaning "knowledge," and the term meaning one who positively makes the assertion that there is no God.

Secondly, I think it's kind of redundant to say that atheists mobilize themselves in the same way Christians do when in defense of their beliefs. How is that any different from saying that atheists mobilize the same way as a Hindu, Muslim, or Democrat, or Marxist?
Atheists don't believe in God. However, a lack of belief is still a belief. Atheists believe there is not God. Put whatever spin you want on it, positive or negative, it doesn't really matter to me, because I don't put much emphasis on it. But even a lack of belief in something is still a belief, also called an opinion, view, stance, position, etc. It's just semantics.

I chose Christians simply because that's who Atheists seems to pit themselves against the most, that's all (and vice versa). I could have used another example; it's just what came to mind.