View Single Post
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

I can't get enough

Name: Sam
Pronouns: she/her

Points: 40,752, Level: 29 Points: 40,752, Level: 29 Points: 40,752, Level: 29

Re: Just got a positive pregnancy test after rape... to keep or not keep? How did you decide? - March 13th 2012, 01:03 AM

First of all, I'm sorry that you've had to go through something so traumatic. I've never been faced with such a difficult decision, but I hope I can still offer you some insight. Even though it's tough to think about giving your baby up, you need to think about what will be best for the child in the long run. If you don't think you'll be able to support the baby, it's probably in the best interest of the both of you to put it up for adoption.

There are a few different routes you can take if you do make the decision to put the child up for adoption. If you choose an open adoption, you will be able to have contact with the adoptive parents before and after the child is born. Depending on the attitudes of the adoptive family, you may also be able to see your child from time to time as it grows up. If you choose a closed adoption, you will not have any contact of the child after they have been adopted. Finally, if you choose a semi-open adoption, you will be able to speak to the adoptive parents before the birth of the baby, but contact will be cut off after the baby is adopted. Take a look at this link if you want more information.

Finally, I just want to suggest that you talk this over with your parents. This isn't going to be an easy decision and you shouldn't try to tackle it alone. I'm sure your parents will be supportive of your decision, so include them in the process. They'll be able to help you see the pros and cons of adoption or keeping the baby. Hopefully, they'll also be able to help lead you to the best choice for your life.

Good luck. I hope this helped.

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie