View Single Post
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
ertyuio Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Points: 13,132, Level: 16 Points: 13,132, Level: 16 Points: 13,132, Level: 16

Re: College majors- I'm confused. - March 18th 2012, 02:34 AM

I'd like to preface my response by letting you know that just because you're beginning college in the fall, you don't need to know what major you're going to pursue and with which you will graduate with a degree. Most colleges don't allow you to declare a major until the end of your second year in college, and just about every single one has special considerations for students who just aren't sure yet. You'll be able to talk to your guidance counselor and sign up for courses in a wide variety of fields, in order to determine which you're most enthusiastic about, and it'll be of infinite more help than coming to a forum for help. You can relax!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LR94 View Post
I think i would like studying visual comm/graphic design, but I have a few concerns about it too. I don't know if I'd like working in the field. I guess I have a hard time picturing myself in an office all day which would be the case if I were to become a web designer or graphic designer. I love art and design- always have- but I'm also afraid I'm not going to be talented enough. I've always felt like was creative for the average person, but compared to the world or artsy people, I'm afraid I'm gonna suck. I'm scared the other students will be more naturally talanted than I am and I've heard job landing in the field can be competitive. I've also heard it's hard day to day grind work and low pay.
I've got a friend who's heavily interested in graphic design and animation, and he's currently studying it at the Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD). He's by no means the most creative graphic artist I've known, but I would say he's creative compared to the average Joe, and his technical skills are difficult to match. He loves every minute of his time at SCAD, and they are teaching him to exercise his creativity, making it stronger than I could have ever predicted. As a side note, a job with a visual communications of graphic design degree could be monotonous and low-paying, but so are many other jobs that you might enter straight out of college, and how you perceive the work depends more on where you work, and how passionate you are about the work. If that testimony you've received is coming from people who weren't crazy about graphic design or visual communications, then you can't expect for them to have been very happy anywhere. Another simple fact - people without experience are typically paid less. Might as well do what you love, then, right?

Quote:
I've though about majoring in marketing. At first I thought this may be high paying, but I don't know if it is with a bachelor's degree. It's also considered "easy" or "soft" compared to other business degrees. I think it'd be okay to study, I wouldn't hate it, probably wouldn't love it. I have NO idea I'd id like working in any related positions. I heard it can be stressful, which worries me. I'd major in it, though if it would lead to lucrative work.
Every job can, and probably will be, stressful. Stressing about that, now, isn't doing you any favors. When it comes to starting salaries, they're heavily dependent on where you live, don't forget. I believe, for marketing, that the average starting annual salary is around $50,000 (or slightly less). I don't have a wealth of knowledge about that particular field to say much about it, but it does require a great deal of social skill and seems to be making a comeback in terms of how many marketing majors are demanded out of college. It will certainly still be a challenging, demanding, and competitive field, though.

Quote:
I've also considered an Education major. I don't think I'd mind studying it. I consider it because teaching is the only position I can actually picture myself in. I think I might enjoy it too. BUT it's low pay. And I think my family might think it a little weird if I Told them I wanted to be a teacher. It's hard to explain, but when I've said it a few years ago my parents kind of down played the idea. I don't know if I'd like being a teacher still. It's hard to know. Also I hate math and science and that's where the demand for teachers are.
If you won't enjoy teaching, then I suggest not teaching. The vast majority of the teachers who knew their subject materials thoroughly, but were not good teachers, were the ones who didn't really enjoy teaching. It is, after all, at your discretion. Maybe you'll change your mind and find that you adore it!

Quote:
Most the high paying jobs involve heavy math/science which is really just not an option for me, I don't tjinkk I would even be able to pass calculus or college physics. Grad school won't be an option until I pay off loans which could take a few years at least.
I've got to disagree here...jobs involving heavy science and math - chemical engineering, mechanical engineering, basic scientific research, medical research - don't pay particularly well. A high-paying job requiring heavy math and science does not exist for a recent college undergraduate. Any that are high-paying either require a lot of experience (which is a slowly changing fact), or a higher degree, which won't be an option of yours. I can safely say that there are very, very, very few jobs requiring heavy math/science that are high-paying when you've only got a bachelor's degree and no experience. I will also caution you with the fact that both visual comm/graphic design, and marketing, typically require at least one course in calculus. Graphic design usually requires a basic physics course. Both are very accessible if you take your time, and go at your own pace; they are not impossible!

Again, you don't even need to be worrying about this until your first or second year of college, so I suggest relaxing and relishing the termination of your last year in high school.