View Single Post
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
LR94 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 7,426, Level: 12 Points: 7,426, Level: 12 Points: 7,426, Level: 12

Re: College majors- I'm confused. - March 18th 2012, 08:18 PM

Thank you, everyone. The thing is, I have to choose my major because I have enough dual credit from high school to finish early.

I feel like if I were to choose what I really wanted right now, I'd choose education (either elementary or high school). Even if I won't make that much, I think I would like being a teacher. It's the only thing I can picture myself doing and the only thing I feel I'd be good at. When I picture myself in an office type setting, i feel depressed. When I picture myself teaching I feel much happier. Is this a sign I should go for teaching degree?

The only reason I still like the idea of graphic design is because I would love to have my own business one day doing freelance web/graphic design and maybe wedding photography? How realistic is it to believe I could run a successful business doing this and support myself? Would it be possible/smart to start my own business fresh out of college or how long should I wait if I were to do this?

I guess I've probably narrowed it down to teaching and design. The hard thing about teaching is I told everyone that I REALLY wanted to do design. I think my parents would much prefer I do design, and wouldn't be too keen on teaching. My mom wants me to do design because she thinks I would be good at it and she thinks I want to do it. I don't know how to tell her and my dad I'm considering education now. Any ideas on how to casually tell them??

Any thoughts on starting my own design/photography business? Is there a market for it?

Thanks again everyone, I think you helped me rule out marketing, because I really just don't think I'd like any part of it.