TigerTank77 Offline
Rage is the best anesthetic
I've been here a while

Name: Ben

Points: 29,500, Level: 24 Points: 29,500, Level: 24 Points: 29,500, Level: 24

Re: Trayvon Martin - March 27th 2012, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Bobby View Post
Ben, at the expense of repeating myself, I'd ask you why you're siding with Zimmerman here and what you think that says about yourself.
It says that I don't jump to conclusions about things I haven't researched myself, because "I saw it on the news so it must be true."

Also, if you're thinking about trying to paint me as a racist because I didn't automatically think Zimmerman was guilty, we will have a problem.

Quote:
Although race is certainly part of the issue, it seems to be more so for some than others. Perhaps that is the defining part of their identification with and determination of the course of sad events.
Race is part of the issue because everyone seems to want it to be one. In the beginning everyone was blaming it on racist white people. Now we know that race didn't really come into play, despite people still trying to make it a racial issue. They are selling t-shirts with Zimmerman's face, with the words "Pussy ass cracka" on it, for god's sake.

Quote:
The real issue for me is the law that allowed this to happen in the first place, and what now needs to be done to prevent a similar tragedy. Sadly, the racial context serves as yet another reminder that we have a long ways to go here in addressing issues of race.
The law didn't allow it to happen, and is pretty much irrelevant. You can argue about it all you want, but it doesn't change the fact that even if there wasn't a stand your ground law, Zimmerman was still getting his skull bashed in. Which is illegal.

Also, the reason we have a long ways to go with addressing race, is that only one side of the issue gets addressed. I guarantee you, if Trayvon had beaten Zimmerman to death, or if Trayvon was white, there wouldn't even be a fourth as much coverage about it as there is right now.

You're right, it shouldn't be that way. But you are taking it up with the wrong people.

Often I lie wide awake, thinking of things I could make.
But I don’t seem to have the parts to build them.
I am so scared of what will kill me in the end, for I am not prepared.
I hope I will get the chance to be someone, to be human.

Last edited by TigerTank77; March 27th 2012 at 07:32 PM.