dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Points: 19,936, Level: 20 Points: 19,936, Level: 20 Points: 19,936, Level: 20

Re: Abortion? - April 10th 2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nenya View Post
Well, my own opinion is that the foetus in the womb isn't even a life yet. It isn't a life until it can survive outside the womb on its own. Up until then it's a parasite.

Also before anyone gets upset about me calling a foetus a parasite lets just clarify the definition
Parasite : An organism that lives in or on another organism (its host) and benefits by deriving nutrients at the host's expense.
That sure sounds like what a foetus does to me.
So, just to stress-test this claim, what's the difference between a foetus and a newborn being breastfed? At the point of breastfeeding, it's living on the mother's body and is deriving nutrients at the mother's expense. Does it therefore suddenly revert to parasite status and should be treated in the same way? If not, why not?

Sounds absurd, perhaps, but I fear you are making the distinction between various stages of development more clear-cut than it actually is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigmole View Post
Wow that doctor is a fucking asshole! I mean that story really pisses me off. It is NOT a doctor's job to give their personal opinion, unless they are asked for it. That's is a bad doctor. And also a bad analogy. There is a huge difference between a baby and a fetus. Many huge differences actually.
I'll be the first to admit the doctor's choice of language leaves a lot to be desired, but claiming he is a "fucking asshole" simply for challenging the mother's reasoning for wanting an abortion sounds pretty extreme in my opinion. Doctors aren't merely rubber-stamping machines, after all, and they have a right (and in many jurisdictions a duty) to satisfy themselves that the patient, for whom they have a duty of care, is fully au fait with what they are requesting. Shitting on them for the mere notion of doing that doesn't seem very rational to me. Also, aside from breathing independently and living outside the mother's body, I'm struggling to think of "many huge differences" between a foetus and a baby, so if you would care to clarify that statement it would be appreciated.

It has just dawned on me that I seem to be singling your posts out, and I apologise if that's the impression that comes across. It's nothing personal, I assure you - I think it's more that you say things which make me think "Wait a minute..."

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.