(#186 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Points: 18,584, Level: 19 Points: 18,584, Level: 19 Points: 18,584, Level: 19

Re: Abortion? - April 10th 2012, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr2005 View Post
So, just to stress-test this claim, what's the difference between a foetus and a newborn being breastfed? At the point of breastfeeding, it's living on the mother's body and is deriving nutrients at the mother's expense. Does it therefore suddenly revert to parasite status and should be treated in the same way? If not, why not?

Sounds absurd, perhaps, but I fear you are making the distinction between various stages of development more clear-cut than it actually is.

I'll be the first to admit the doctor's choice of language leaves a lot to be desired, but claiming he is a "fucking asshole" simply for challenging the mother's reasoning for wanting an abortion sounds pretty extreme in my opinion. Doctors aren't merely rubber-stamping machines, after all, and they have a right (and in many jurisdictions a duty) to satisfy themselves that the patient, for whom they have a duty of care, is fully au fait with what they are requesting. Shitting on them for the mere notion of doing that doesn't seem very rational to me. Also, aside from breathing independently and living outside the mother's body, I'm struggling to think of "many huge differences" between a foetus and a baby, so if you would care to clarify that statement it would be appreciated.

It has just dawned on me that I seem to be singling your posts out, and I apologise if that's the impression that comes across. It's nothing personal, I assure you - I think it's more that you say things which make me think "Wait a minute..."
No it's fine don't worry about it. I actually agree with all you are saying, I just tend to get emotional over this issue. I'm usually a very logical person but with this topic I tend to lose that a little. I think you may have a benefit being a guy when it comes to this topic because I think guys have less of an emotional stake.

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin