Thread: Triggering: Trayvon Martin-George Zimmerman
View Single Post
  (#122 (permalink)) Old
TigerTank77 Offline
Rage is the best anesthetic
I've been here a while

Name: Ben

Points: 29,500, Level: 24 Points: 29,500, Level: 24 Points: 29,500, Level: 24

Re: George Zimmerman Charged With 2nd Degree Murder in Trayvon Martin's Death - April 12th 2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr2005 View Post

In other words, unless Zimmerman can prove that he had reasonable grounds for believing that deadly force was the only way to protect himself from imminent death or great bodily harm, he cannot rely upon the statute. Contrary to some of the publicity surrounding it, it isn't a "licence to murder" law.
I'm aware. However, when someone has you pinned to the ground, and is forcibly raining blows down on your head, that's considered imminent death or great bodily harm. It doesn't take very many shots to the head to kill someone. There are documented cases of people dying from contusions caused by a single punch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr2005 View Post
That being said, it could drop to manslaughter once the trial is underway - my understanding is that it can only go down, though, not up, so that may explain their choice as well.
I don't think they can drop it down to manslaughter when the trial is underway. They have to either prove in on 2nd degree terms once the trial starts, or acquit him. They can't say "well, we don't have anything to prove second degree murder, lets try manslaughter." You can't just throw charges at someone and hope they stick.

Often I lie wide awake, thinking of things I could make.
But I don’t seem to have the parts to build them.
I am so scared of what will kill me in the end, for I am not prepared.
I hope I will get the chance to be someone, to be human.