Thread: Triggering: Trayvon Martin-George Zimmerman
View Single Post
  (#127 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Points: 19,936, Level: 20 Points: 19,936, Level: 20 Points: 19,936, Level: 20

Re: George Zimmerman Charged With 2nd Degree Murder in Trayvon Martin's Death - April 12th 2012, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliber View Post
I'm assuming you don't know anything about firearms, because you never administer a "non-lethal shot". It violates the most basic rule of firearm safety that you never aim a gun at something you do not intend to kill. That said, when pinned on the ground, you don't shoot with an intention to kill however, you shoot to stop. I think it go's along with that ridiculous mentality some people have who think police can shoot a gun out of a criminals hand.
You assume incorrectly, I'm afraid - I have used firearms before (briefly, admittedly) and I know enough to be able to say it's as easy to hit someone in the shoulder as the chest if you're at point-blank range as Zimmerman was, provided you have half a clue what you're doing. Zimmerman was licensed to carry the firearm in a personal capacity (note - not as part of his patrolman duties) and so I would assume he possessed sufficient control to differentiate between the two. Aiming for the centre of mass, as per "shoot to stop" (which, with respect, is something of a play on words - shooting anywhere in the vicinity of the heart or lungs is likely to kill), is only really of relevance when shooting over a distance rather than point-blank because then you are giving yourself the best target area. If your attacker is sufficiently close to punch you, the target area is as large as it's going to get frankly. Admittedly "non-lethal shot" is poor terminology on my part, for which I apologise, but the wider point still stands insomuch as there is arguable grounds for intent. Your comment about not pointing a gun at something you don't intend to kill would appear to support that as well, incidentally.

And for the record, I know police officers can't shoot a gun out of someone's hand - you can probably thank Westerns for that cliche...

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick