ಠ_ಠ
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Toz

Points: 15,333, Level: 18 Points: 15,333, Level: 18 Points: 15,333, Level: 18

Re: Raising children into religion. - April 16th 2012, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr2005 View Post
So much for freedom of religion then.

Anyway, should I have kids (and there's quite a big "if" on that front at the moment) I would in all likelihood raise them with awareness of my faith and probably have them baptised, if only as an insurance policy. Insofar as whether they want to undertake any of the sacraments of the Church, however, I would leave that up to them to decide as they see fit and would always treat religion as an open topic for discussion. I would also encourage them to make themselves aware of all different kinds of beliefs, ranging from Bible-thumper to atheist, so they could fully understand and engage with the world on this level. Knowledge is the key thing as far as I'm concerned.
It was a jest. The way I see it, I will raise my children with the understanding there is no God. I intend my kids to be definitive proof that you can be born into an atheist family and still live an ethically and spiritually fulfilling life. If they have questions about religion, I intend to answer them to the best of my knowledge, and I'm not afraid to find out stuff for them as well. If one day, they elect to partake in mythology for spiritual fulfillment, then they are free to by all means. But that doesn't mean I soften my blows when discussing the matter with them. I will treat religion then with the same sense of respect I do now- I revere it in a historical context, but I do not respect the institutions more than is necessary, and I will fight for a person's right to believe what they will.

Just, when it comes to my kids, they will be raised atheist while they are my responsibility.

Sorry if I rambled a bit. It's kinda sorta 4:20 for me.