(#6 (permalink)) Old
Kindred Offline
You can handle anything
I've been here a while

Name: Eyeliner Failure

Points: 31,637, Level: 25 Points: 31,637, Level: 25 Points: 31,637, Level: 25

Re: Could my sister have an eating disorder? - April 19th 2012, 04:35 PM

Hi there,

I can't diagnose your sister with anything, but I would say if her eating habits are worrying you and your family, make an appointment to see a doctor as soon as possible. From what you describe, she is showing a lot of suspicious signs. Whether this is full blown anorexia, a doctor will only be able to tell from an examination. However, eating disorders are serious and only get worse without treatment, often very quickly too.

The most important thing is that you realize this isn't actually your sisters fault. It might seem like she's doing this on purpose for whatever reason, but she isn't. No one "wants" an eating disorder. Imagine the eating disorder as something that has "taken over" your sister's thoughts and feelings. You and your family need help to get rid of this monster before it does any more damage.

Your sister needs you. Let her know how much you love her, and that you're always there for her, no matter what. I'm always here if you need someone to talk to, an ED can be very difficult for the whole family, so don't feel guilty or hopeless for wanting help yourself.

-Laura

Take as long as you need.