View Single Post
  (#32 (permalink)) Old
Solivagant Offline
Previously Apple of your eye
I've been here a while

Name: Suv

Points: 25,840, Level: 23 Points: 25,840, Level: 23 Points: 25,840, Level: 23

Re: Raising children into religion. - April 22nd 2012, 11:08 AM

I like the way I was raised. I am born in a Punjabi family and though we are not very religious, we occasionally visit the Gurudwara and celebrate the Hindu festivals and all that. But I have always been given a free will to make my own choices and learn about other religions. My family knows that I am crazy about Churches and Christianity. I always visit the Church on Christmas and no one in my family minds that.

My mother doesn't mind my belief in any religion as long I believe in some kind of God. She has always told me what her beliefs are and has left it up to me after that. She believes that we should be close to God, pray to him in the good and bad times, He can be someone that we can talk to when we have no one else to go too. And religions teach us a lot more things like being good to others and doping good stuff. That is how I would like it to be for my kids too

My brother is an atheist. And no one minds that too. He does cooperate with mum's beliefs at times, sits in the prayers during Diwali celebrations occasionally visits the temple with us as a family. But at the end of the day my mum knows that he is an atheist and respects that as long as he is respecting her beliefs.

"Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic, capable of both inflicting injury and remedying it."

-Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Users of TeenHelp have rated post 851450 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!