Thread: Female Advice Preferred: I hate my period.
View Single Post
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount71

Edit avatar

Re: I hate my period. - April 27th 2012, 06:00 AM

Well, you're kind of shit out of luck on this one.

We're built to have a uterus for a reason. Periods are basically what tells us we are of childbearing age, fertile, and not pregnant (or pregnant) each month. There isn't a way to change that fact. You can't just "stop" having periods without being pregnant, without reproductive organs or going through some serious health problems.

The closest you could get to not having a period is to put yourself on Depo Provera, which is the birth control shot. However, the shot can have unpleasant side effects, isn't compatible with everyone's medical history; you should definitely consult with a doctor about whether it's right for you. Not to mention, it's expensive, and it doesn't ban periods forever; eventually, you will have to have one.

You could broach a doctor on the subject of having a hysterectomy, but I almost guarantee you you will not find a medical professional to perform there surgery. There is a law against performing a hysterectomy unless you have had at least one child, and definitely not at your age without you having some serious problem, like uterine cancer. Plus, even if for some reason you did have a hysterectomy, it's not over and done with. Your uterus is connected to important glands in the brain, meaning you now get to take a ton of hormone pills at very specific times a day. It's like birth control, but ten times more annoying and as expensive.

In addition, any tampering with your body system as it is has a good chance of changing your periods, which could actually backfire so they happen more frequently and more often.

I understand the feeling of hating your period. You have the right to be upset. But it isn't as bad as it could be. Most women have a period once a month, some even more frequently, and many of them are accompanied by heavy cramping and other bad side effects, such as severe emotional instability (I don't mean PMS; I mean it makes them contemplate suicide).

What I recommend, honestly, is talking to a therapist. You aren't the only one who experiences these feelings. Before taking any PHYSICAL action, I would contact a psychological professional, not because you are crazy, but because it's something really worth talking to a therapist about.

Last edited by DeletedAccount71; April 27th 2012 at 06:12 AM.