til'death Offline
BABIES?!?
Not a n00b

Name: Courtney

Points: 8,013, Level: 13 Points: 8,013, Level: 13 Points: 8,013, Level: 13

Re: Abortion? - April 29th 2012, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
Yes, because I am sure you always follow the book of Deuteronomy to the letter, too.

Aside from that:

I actually don't like the terms "pro-life" and "pro-choice." I think that they cover opposite extremes, and leave no room for the very large gray area in the middle.

Here's the deal: I'm with people on the fact that the fetus is a life. It's not a VIABLE life up until 23 weeks, but it's still life, if you go by the definition biology does, which is that cell division is an indicator of life. So, theoretically, it's a life from the moment of conception.

It develops quickly, too. It has a heartbeat at four weeks, and brain wave activity at five. That's often before many women even find out they are pregnant. And, a termination (I think the word "abortion") is so heated and politically charged) of pregnancy is allowed, in most states, up until the twelfth week. At this time the baby has developed reflexes and has rapidly growing brain activity.

So yes, the baby is a life. And, presumably, if left alone it will grow to be an actual functioning human baby.

However, this is a life that is forming WITHIN another life. A life form that is already fully developed and independently functioning has rights established in the constitution of the United States.

The United States is a very sexist country, as evidenced by the recent fights done by middle-aged white men, who don't have a vagina and probably don't even really know how female reproduction works, about women's bodies. This includes ALL aspects of sexual health, not just pregnancy termination.

So, this new life is growing within another life. And here's what I believe: I do not believe you can take away the rights of a woman to her own body. Sure, it's easy to do on paper. Because obviously it can become impersonal on paper.

But this is what they are really telling a woman to do:

* They're asking her to involuntarily go through nine months, during which her body will experience many changes and side effects, many of which are not pleasant

* PAY for all of that care because, even if she can't afford it, because, well, it would be really silly to give people good health insurance, wouldn't it?

* To face possible severe complications that COULD result in irreparable injury or death

* To do all of this regardless of socioeconomic status, cultural status, religious beliefs, emotional health, physical health, conception circumstances and, oh yeah basic human rights!

I wonder how all those politicians would like it if we had to tell them that ALL of them had to get a vasectomy. Doesn't matter if you want more children, you have to do it. Well, nope, protecting the population problem is much more important than your very personal decision to have a family. Your wife? Oh no, she doesn't have to do anything about it. She's a woman. You're a mere MAN. Silly men, don't you know we got this covered!

But it's not a two way street, is it?

See the thing is, you can't say "well, abortion is okay in these circumstances, but not others." You can't pick and choose. It's like being sexual as a teenager but saying you aren't REALLY. "Oh, well, it's okay if I give you a blow job, and I guess you can touch me down there, but it's DEFINITELY not okay to actually have sex!"

Doesn't work that way, does it?

So here's the deal: I believe that a fetus is a life. I do. But I also believe that human beings have rights that should never be violated. In this case, the fetus is growing inside the mother. The mother did not MAKE conception happen. She didn't connect the sperm to the egg and make it actually travel down the fallopian tubes and implant on her uterine wall. Even if she didn't use birth control, she still was not ACTUALLY responsible for the fertilization of the egg. That's just damn biology.

That baby is inside HER body. It belongs to HER. It's HER body to take care of. She should NEVER be told what she can and can't do with it. She should NEVER be CRIMINALIZED for making a choice about her body.

And the fact that the government wants to stick it's nose between her legs is pretty sickening. Because they obviously don't have enough to worry about without deciding how, when and where people can fuck.
This is exactly how my brain is thinking, but with a few more emotions...
I believe that baby is HER baby and it's HER choice what she does with it... but my point on post birth abortion. Once that baby is born it has it's own human rights, also I believe women who purposefully do not take care of themselves and do things that could damage their babies development while they are pregnant and lets say their child is born with fetal alcohol syndrome... that baby should NOT stay with it's mother. I would never have an abortion but I wouldn't take that right away from another women who thinks it is the best decision for them... I hope I make sense.

When I saw you I was afraid to meet you.
When I met you I was afraid to kiss you.
When I kissed you I was afraid to love you.
Now that I love you, I am afraid to lose you.

He makes me smile
it's not just any regular smile either
it's that radiant smile, you know that one you get
when you know you have fallen head over heels in love
with the man of your dreams