View Single Post
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
NoName12 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 7,317, Level: 12 Points: 7,317, Level: 12 Points: 7,317, Level: 12

Re: Deciding on a college? - May 8th 2012, 11:37 PM

When selecting a college, look into the options available to you. Which of the three offers the best program for you? This is so important. If you don't enjoy what you're studying, you'll likely not enjoy your college experience. Furthermore, do you want to have the experience of living away from home for college? Many students have this desire and if you do, I'd say go for the college that is further away so that you can have that experience. Living on your own is a phenomenal experience. It gives you the opportunity to meet a lot of new people and enables you to develop vital life skills that will undoubtedly aid you in the future.

Don't worry so much about your boyfriend because 1) 1.5 hours is not a long time 2) You can certainly visit 3) There are so many ways to keep in touch nowadays 4) You're there for school, anyway. Point is, you need to think about it and list off factors that are important to YOU. Obviously, your program should be something to consider. If they're all very similar, then move to other factors (i.e., cost, campus, school atmosphere, clubs, course availability, reputation, etc.) There are so many factors to consider when selecting a college - none of which are "staples". Focus on factors that are important to YOU.

If you find that the college that starts in January is the best fit for you, don't allow the start date to turn you off. You said it yourself - you've taken a year off. What's the difference if you add a few months to that? In the long run, it won't make a difference at all. Trust me. Don't rush into one of your choices that allow you to start in September JUST because they allow you to start earlier.

First impressions last. Start behind the eight ball and you'll never get in front.