View Single Post
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Points: 19,936, Level: 20 Points: 19,936, Level: 20 Points: 19,936, Level: 20

Re: 'Batmanism': a valid religion? - June 8th 2012, 04:50 PM

Validity in the field of religion is always a prickly topic at the best of times, if for no other reason than what constitutes "validity" in terms of a belief is highly subjective. Even concepts in which one would assume there is some certainly, such as fairness and justice, you have a whole smorgasbord of different perspectives and opinions on what is "fair" or what is "just". As such, I tend to avoid questions like this like the plague. If we take the broadest possible definition of religion, for which I would say any system of beliefs or philosophies with a spiritual element, then provided there is some form of spirituality involved in proceedings then it could legitimately be viewed as a religion. How one incorporates such spirituality into the story of an orphaned martial arts expert and vigilante beating up criminals in a fictional city, on the other hand, is something I'm not too sure about...

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.