View Single Post
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23

Re: LGBT In Textbooks - June 17th 2012, 03:58 PM

I think a lot of it is that the matter is so contested. Things like religious and racial acceptance is no biggie. But things like whether woman are accepted fully or not or whether the LGBT is fully integrated etc. It depends where you live, and it's really hard to teach. Womans rights tend to be talked about first. For example, I have taken classes where they make it sound like everything is A-Ok, woman have total equality, and others make it sound like the total equality is a facade, and ooooh, we are actually seriously oppressed. I think it is a combo, I am defs not "oppressed" but I know there is still a lot o backwards/old fashioned thinking out there screwing woman over too... And it is even more so with the lgbt... I think a lot of what happened there was that it wasn't put right into the laws right away, like woman's rights and racial/religious rights were codified into law no problem, but the lgbt rights have been a bit slower to uptake and tend to rely on other laws such as the general "freed of this that and the other" typed things applying to it