Thread: Triggering (Grieving): Girlfriend lost a pet and a family member...
View Single Post
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Beautiful Disaster Offline
survivor. :)
I've been here a while

Name: Anna

Points: 15,864, Level: 18 Points: 15,864, Level: 18 Points: 15,864, Level: 18

Re: Girlfriend lost a pet and a family member... - July 30th 2012, 06:13 PM

Hey there,

Sorry it has taken me a while to reply. I'm sorry for your girlfriends loss and I want to say well done for stepping up to support her when some would 'run away'.

I think it is a good that you have respected her family by not going to the funeral, I think it is really good that you have acknowledged that it wouldn't be a good idea, well done.

In terms of supporting her - just be there for her. Coping with a loss of people close to you is hard and it will take her time to be able to cope with these two losses. However she will get to the point she can cope, but she may need reminding of that. As mentioned, things like movie nights - nice chilled out times where there is no expectation of her to do anything and time to take her mind off things at home. Could she make a scrapbook or have photo's of the bunny and Grandpa she has lost, so when she feels ready she can remember the good times? Or when she is upset - could you ask her about a good memory she has had with them both?

Also, could you maybe write her a card which explains that you will be there for her and that it will be okay and just take time, but that she will be okay. That will probably be of comfort to herself and she can read it whenever she likes.

The key thing is to give her space to grieve and be upset but try not to let it take over your relationship - you need to make time to spend together when this isn't the focus of attention, if that makes sense?

I hope this has helped a bit,

Anna

You have to have the negative things in life
to be able to appreciate the positives.
TG 05/04/2013