View Single Post
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: College Confusion - August 11th 2012, 10:07 AM

Hey there,

Are there any other apartments you could look into around your college campus? Some apartments have different requirements for people who are renting. It can be hard to get into an apartment if the person co-signing does not make a certain amount of money. For example, where I live apartments have all types of requirements, if a person has good credit history than they only have to make 3x the rent but if they have bad credit history or no credit they or their co-signer need to make 5x the rent. I suggest you call some apartments and ask what their requirement is. Explain that you are a student and your father will be helping you with the apartment. Most places will explain what your father needs to make in order for you to rent the place.

Another thing you could consider is looking into student apartments in the area. I think that they might have some different requirements for tenants than 'normal' apartments.

Do you think you would feel comfortable looking into sharing a room with someone and or renting someones basement or whatever? This can be a great thing to consider because there are usually less requirements/more leniency. I know the idea of sharing a room with people can be scary but if you were to move in with some other college students like yourself it might be less scary. I am actually going to consider doing this when I transfer to a state college.

Lastly, is it possible to commute? If so why not do that? My first year or so at city college I had to drive 45 minutes there and back. While it did get tiring at times I was still able to go to the college I wanted and it made me happy. And, once you get into college you might find notices on the bulletin boards (most colleges have these) that talk about people needing room mates and stuff. Or, something that can be common is people making friends with classmates and then they decide to room together.

While things may not be going according to plan it will work out. Sometimes we either have to change our plans or go a little further for what we want.

I hope this helped and there wasn't too much rambling involved. And, good luck!!!