(#3 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

I can't get enough

Name: Sam
Pronouns: she/her

Points: 40,752, Level: 29 Points: 40,752, Level: 29 Points: 40,752, Level: 29

Re: College how to make friends? - August 30th 2012, 06:35 AM

For the longest time, I was also content with spending my time alone. But, like you, I started to want real friends to hang out with when I did feel the need to go out and do something. Like Robin said, you just need to force yourself into attending social events. Is your college going to have any fun activities during your orientation? If they do, participate in them! It doesn't matter how silly they sound. By putting yourself out there and participating in the events, you'll be able to meet new people who will also be going to your school. Use the events as a time to get to know people. You can strike up a conversation about anything! It could be something as simple as asking what their major is, commenting on something you've noticed about them (ex. a band tshirt), or their thoughts on the event itself! Once the conversation starts flowing, it'll be easier to come up with conversation topics.

Also, get involved! I can't stress that enough. Join clubs that are focused on things you are genuinely interested in. You'll have the chance to meet people with similar interests to yours and you'll have a built-in conversation starter! If you're living on campus, try to meet people in your hall. Perhaps you could find some people to have a pick-up game with or grab a bite to eat with. Talk to people in your classes, as well. Even trying to form a study group for a tricky course will show people that you're interested in spending time with them.

Once you start, you have to keep pushing yourself to be social! It might be hard at first, which is perfectly normal. But, if you can manage to talk to even one new person a day, you'll find that it gets easier with time.

I hope this helped!

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie