(#20 (permalink)) Old
joeblow9999 Offline
I'm back! (sorta)
Regular TeenHelper

Points: 9,718, Level: 14 Points: 9,718, Level: 14 Points: 9,718, Level: 14

Re: Apple Vs. Samsung - August 30th 2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartlines. View Post
I'll compare and contrast. I don't know who here has an android. But I've had nothing but problems with that phone. It froze all the time, glitched, broke, etc. I've had it replaced twice in a year period!
For the reasons Boobies mentioned, this is an unfair comparison to make. There is only one model of iPhone with each generation, whereas Android is an operating system that runs on literally hundreds of different devices. Your experience with one specific phone is hardly representative of all the hundreds of Android phones out there. Not to mention, any phone is capable of the problems you described, including iPhones. There was a story in the news not too long ago about a guy whose 4S started smoking in his pocket, and he threw it on the ground right before it started burning. This was captured on a CCTV camera and posted on the Internet. Although this did actually happen, obviously not everyone's iPhone is going to start burning and smoldering, so it would be unfair of me to suggest that because of this one single incident, that iPhones in general must be prone to catching fire.

Quote:
I now have an iphone 3GS, and it's already heaps better, despite it being an older model. It never freezes, or glitches.
This is, unfortunately, nothing more than anecdotal evidence. I realise there have been a lot of those in this thread, however, in my previous post I was invoking an anecdote to counter an anecdote by Toz in order to prove a point, which was that everyone's experiences are different and no single personal experience is representative of everyone. I know people whose 3Gs's and even newer 4s's freeze and glitch frequently. See what I'm getting at?

Quote:
If Apple keeping going that way it is, they'll become more powerful. Practically every person I know owns an iphone. A lot of people are switching over to macs if they don't already have one. And it seems like everyone has a freaking ipod. You see apple products all over.

They be working out of their own interests, and possibly irresponsibly, but they're bigger, making more money, etc. They can AFFORD to do that. And why does it matter if they're working out of their own interest? How does that effect me? I still have a good phone that I like.

Apple is playing hard ball with Samsung because they know they can. Whether or not they take over the US, is beyond me? But if everyone is buying Apple products, and Samsung is slowly going on the back burner, then there isn't much Samsung can do.
The problem with this is that when one company dominates any given market it becomes a monopoly or near-monopoly, and this has the effect of choking off competition. This is bad for everyone because it severely reduces the number of choices that consumers have when they go shopping for phones or whatever device. I might want an Android phone, you might want an iPhone, but we both should be presented with a wide array of choices when we go looking for a new phone. An Apple monopoly would lead to fewer choices and higher prices. It does affect you, and it's something you should care about.

Another problem with companies or corporations that grow too large and too influential is that they *will* abuse their power and take advantage of consumers, their employees and even start to influence politics to benefit themselves. This is why companies should be regulated so they don't become too large and power-hungry.

Feel free to leave me a VM anytime, I don't bite. :3

“For me, I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday, and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you.” ---Neil deGrasse Tyson

Last edited by joeblow9999; August 30th 2012 at 06:59 PM.