(#3 (permalink)) Old
Just Peachy. Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Points: 63,646, Level: 36 Points: 63,646, Level: 36 Points: 63,646, Level: 36

Re: Alcohol Blackouts - August 31st 2012, 03:23 PM

Hey there.

The simple answer is- don't drink as much as you normally would. You can't simply drink the same amount of beers and expect to not black out. There is a rule to drinking that I heard and it might help you, drink one glass of water to every drink. You'll still feel a nice buzz, but you'll stay hydrated and won't black out as easily. It's an easy thing to do. Another thing that I've learned- don't mix what you're drinking. Meaning, don't have 6 beers, then 2 shots of rum, and then 4 shots of whiskey. Stick to one thing. Drink nothing but beer one night, then switch it up the next. That will really help with not blacking out as easily and the hang over won't be as bad.

Alcoholism runs in my family, so I try to never get THAT drunk. What I do is drink water (not enough to sober me up, but enough to not get as drunk as fast). I also pace myself. I don't pound down the drinks. What you could try is have one drink an hour, or something similar. This will make it so you don't have AS many drinks before the bar closes, or the party is over. You'll run out of time to drink. Make sense? I know my limits. I've drank enough to know what is comfortable and fun, yet still safe enough that I don't hurt myself or black out. Learn your limits. Stop at a certain point. Don't let yourself get past these points.

As far as drunk texts/calls/stupid mistakes/etc, leave your phone off. Keep it tucked away. You can also have a friend that you trust hold on to it, or even the bartender. I'm sure they would do it. And doing stupid things. That's inevitable while drinking. Drinking changes your state of mind, and it's beyond your control after a certain point. That's it really. Best way to prevent all these things, as I'm sure you know, don't drink.