View Single Post
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Liminal Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 7,035, Level: 12 Points: 7,035, Level: 12 Points: 7,035, Level: 12

Re: My boyfriend was raped?! - October 17th 2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krissyxo View Post
Thank you so much. I'm a bit confused with this myself though, is it still considered rape if the intoxicated person consented to the activity and the other person knew they were this way from the beginning? My friend was sober when this happened.
You can't consent while intoxicated. Any condition which affects your judgment and your ability to think clearly automatically prevents you giving consent to anything. The law is very, very clear about this. Choosing to take advantage of someone's state of intoxication is unequivocally rape.

Quote:
I am thinking about contacting the police or a simple hotline we have around my area, to see what they recommend. Could I be held accountable for anything though? I did not have anything to do with the situation they are in, but I would like to provide justice on this case with the little evidence I may possibly have.
Definitely call the hotline. I'm not a lawyer, but I don't see how you could be accountable for something you weren't involved in. What you can be held accountable for is not turning in evidence of a crime you know was committed if you have the evidence in your possession. It's an active investigation and you know it's going on, so concealing the evidence is considered "obstruction of justice," which is a crime. Since you'd be hiding it on behalf of someone else, it's also considered "aiding and abetting," and possibly criminal conspiracy.

This is a serious deal with serious consequences. There's a clear moral obligation to go to the police with this, but it's also the best way to protect yourself. Even deleting the texts won't help at this point: your provider's server will have records, and the texts themselves can be retrieved from the phone's equivalent of a hard drive even after being deleted.