View Single Post
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Addiction problem? - December 24th 2012, 12:38 AM

Hey there,

It definitely sounds like you are struggling a bit and hopefully I can help you out a bit. I think that it is important that you have time to partake in some activities. However, as you have said, these activities are getting in the way of your studies and so you need to try and find some things that might help you work on fixing these things.

Firstly, I think you should set a schedule and stick with it; try to plan a time that you will set aside for homework and other important tasks in your life. From there you can set aside some time to do the fun things that you like to do. I have found that setting a schedule helps me to better keep on track and keep from getting distracted. Here is an example:

3:00-5:00: Homework
5:00-5:30: Take out the trash, do the dishes, feed the animals
6:00-8:00: Free Time
8:00: Prepare for bed

Of course that is just an idea and when you do something like that certain things, like the time you allocate for homework are subject to change. But the time you set aside to get on the internet or facebook or play a game etc should not change. You have to set strict boundaries for yourself and that means setting strict rules regarding how much time you allow yourself to use the things that are distracting yourself from your work.

I find that I daydream a lot as well and the best suggestion I can make is that you try and remind yourself a few times "I need to pay attention to the teacher." Of course you cannot do this every couple of seconds but once in a great while will remind you of where you are and kind of keep you grounded.

You said that you have had issues with drinking, at least in the past and so, you might want to consider going to an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting or some sort of support group. It might be a great way to get support for the addictions and slowly work on getting to a better place.

Also, you mentioned that you feel that, possibly, you might be struggling with depression and so maybe it would be a good idea to consider counseling as well. I think that some of the tips I gave you might help but if there are underlying issues regarding the problem then you need to try and deal with them and a counselor could definitely help you do that.

I hope that this helped and if you need anything please feel free to pm me.
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.