View Single Post
  (#74 (permalink)) Old
LucyLouWho Offline
In that order...
I've been here a while

Name: Chelsey

Points: 22,344, Level: 21 Points: 22,344, Level: 21 Points: 22,344, Level: 21

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - March 30th 2009, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khadra View Post
Yes well Santa's sole purpose is to make well-behaved children happy on December 25. Santa needs the ability to make reindeer fly and fit through chimneys in order to do his job. What's the difference?
I don't think you're understanding that Santa Claus is widely known as being made-up because of the KNOWN history of how it was made up. Did you read anything on the link that I gave you?

"Saint Nicholas was born in 260AD in Patara, a coastal town in what is now Turkey. The poor knew him throughout the land for his generosity, his love for children and being associated with ships, the sea and sailors. He was eventually consecrated Bishop of Myra, just miles from his hometown.
Our western tradition of Santa Claus and Father Christmas originates with the beloved saint. Many Christian churches and many countries observe December 6th, his feast day, with great celebrations, processions, services and gift giving.
"

^Santa Claus originated with all of that, and is therefore, known to not be real. So Santa Claus doesn't make a very good argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khadra View Post
Do you realize how dangerous it is to blindly follow someone? Look what happened when people trusted and believed everything Hitler said. Wouldn't anyone offering something good be more than willing to offer proof so that more people would reap the benefits? Why would god ask people to believe in him without proof? Do you believe in anything else without proof to back it up? If I told you I have 5 heads would you confidently believe me or would you ask for a picture?
Back to the faith thing... God wants his followers simply to believe in him and trust him. The Bible goes on and on about faith. And the Bible is what God wants us to live by. If the religion itself wasn't based on a foundation of faith, yeah, I'd want some proof. But since there is so much talk of how important faith is in the Bible, I believe that God, once again, wants his followers to have faith and trust in him, not ask for proof.

Previously Mommy.Wife.Student