View Single Post
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
KissMeWithVenomousLips Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 6,930, Level: 12 Points: 6,930, Level: 12 Points: 6,930, Level: 12

Is it acceptable for a dad to only care about his daughter because she's dating? - January 24th 2013, 08:05 PM

Hi I’m new here and I’d really like some help.

My dad was never a really nice person, and was always kind of mean to me. He liked to pick and tease at me a lot and I had/have a lot of self esteem issues because of him.
He’s never cared about me at all, when I started cutting when I was 13 he saw them, asked what the scars on my arms were, and when I said it was the cat he believed me, and gave me a lecture on not letting the cat scratch me because of diseases and such. When people started talking my mom decided it was time to send me to counseling, and had to tell dad. He was a total asshole about it. “You need to stop that, it’s fucking stupid. If more people find out, I’m going to go to jail and then your mother and siblings will be homeless and it’ll be all your fault.” He wasn’t concerned about ME at all, just making me feel bad. I’m sixteen and things haven’t really changed until August, when I fell for somebody. He is amazing and everything I could have ever wanted and needed in somebody, and has really brought me back to life. Now, dad cares about me. Makes an effort to talk to me and hasn’t been mean to me.
Part of me thinks this is great and all, but I’m also hurt and conflicted. Why does he care now? Is it because there is a male figure in my life now, who really does care about me more than dad ever did? Is it because I’m easy to love now, because I’m not always crying and cutting, and screaming at the sky? Or has he just coincidentally come to care and want to try with me in my last two years here, as well as my 3 younger siblings? Someone please tell me because I want to know the truth.