View Single Post
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23

Re: I have a shopping addiction. - February 11th 2013, 06:45 PM

I actually have very similar problems: I think that shopping became my coping mechanism to deal with my anxiety and depression in my second year, I was doing bad in school, I didn't even want to be in university but I was also conflicted with the "I can't be the only one in my family to not have a degree" etc. So I would just go to the mall, I'd buy movies or what ever else and ended up with all this shit I didn't even need--I swear to god the majority of the DVD's and shoes I own I bought 2 years ago. I'd also buy shit loads of music and stuff. I'd do all this stuff without even thinking about it. I feel like I improved since I found other outlets for my stress; for example, I love swimming, running and yoga. These things also cost money if you need a membership for a studio or shoes or what ever but the cost tends to be more limited and things like running is possible to do outside so as long as I have clothes/shoes for it I am set. Also, for example, my plan is to learn as much yoga as possible between now and April and when the ground is dry enough I want to do things like doing yoga in the park . So I think that finding a "healthier" outlet would definitely help.

I think that calculating a budget would also be good. Calculate how much rent, gas, food, car insurance, internet, phone, hydro, water, house insurance, pet food etc is. What ever necessities you have to pay for, add it all up. Then what ever amount of money you have a month (ex. 2000) subtract your "necessary" costs from it (ex. 1500-2000) and see how much you are left over with to spend. Say 500 (according to these random numbers. Now if you are like me, I force myself to save $100 a month in a tax free savings account so that I can't blow though 100% of my money and will hopefully have enough saved to get by for a bit once I am done school especially given how few jobs are out there it may be a while before I get anything raking in the big bucks. If you don't do that you could try it. Even if you only put $20 a month in. Then say ok you have 500 per month. And then make a list of things you want. Like say you want a certain new movie, a certain pair of shoes, and wirite it all down and buy as many of them as fits into your budget, but then tell yourself you can buy more once you have the spare money again.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.