TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Depression and Suicide (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f11-depression-suicide/)
-   -   Can you ever truly get over depression... for good? (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f11-depression-suicide/t141884-can-you-ever-truly-get-over-depression-good/)

into creation x November 19th 2015 09:59 PM

Can you ever truly get over depression... for good?

I was diagnosed almost 4 years ago with depression and anxiety although it's been on and off since and even prior to being diagnosed.

How many years is it going to take to be really free of mental health troubles?

I don't really have anything else to say. I'd just like to hear others stories of being free of them and how long did it take?

Rivière November 19th 2015 11:10 PM

Re: Can you ever truly get over depression... for good?

In my personal opinion a person can't 'get over' depression, but things can get easier over the course of time and depending on what steps that person takes to help reduce its effects.

I've suffered depression since I was 11, I'm now 24 and it's still here but it's certainly a lot better than it used to be.

I used to suffer depression so severely I would often contemplate suicide to the point I even began attempting on several occasions where I eventually ended up in hospital and had to be referred to a counsellor. Cutting a long story short, I spent a lot of my time working towards improving how I felt. There are times when I feel really down in the dumps, where I feel like I wonder what I'm doing, but it's certainly no where near as bad as it used to be because of the steps I've taken to help myself.

Green Yoshi November 20th 2015 02:04 AM

I think that you can really beat depression. :hug:

I too used to go through it, but i remembered that there are so many things i could do, so many lives i could change, and so many experiences for me to go through. I got into as many things as possible in order to add variety into my world, and it seems to have worked because i'm now in a much better place. :hug: Also, i think that how you beat it , overcome it or surpass the problem depends on your mindset. If you stay strong and think positively, i'm extremely sure that depression is something you can beat. :hug:

Plenty of people have overcome it and so can you. :hug: It might even take just a year or two to beat it completely, and things will be much better then :hug:

If you need any advice or help, i'll be around to help you . :hug: Pm me anytime!

bailatyvm November 25th 2015 06:23 AM

I first felt suicidal when I was 8 years old. I'm now 19, and just now starting to figure out what to do. Medication has really helped me, but of course I still hit those 'triggers' that send me into 'crazy depressed' mode.

But while it doesn't go away, it gets SO much easier. I used to think that was a total lie, but it isn't. You will eventually figure out your body, figure out your brain, figure out why you think the way that you think, and therefore figure out what kind of help that would benefit you the most. I was at my breaking point after year 10 and I was like 'it's been so long there is NO way that it will get better' but it seriously does. I still get the anxiety but I've learned how to calm it down. It used to be so bad that I couldn't eat, but now I know how to tell myself that it isn't real.