TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Depression and Suicide (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f11-depression-suicide/)
-   -   Sister Dealing with Depression (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f11-depression-suicide/t145126-sister-dealing-depression/)

acting101 May 10th 2016 02:42 AM

Sister Dealing with Depression

My sister has depression and has recently started going to counselling and is figuring out which medication works best. I was really excited when she finally decided to get help, but it's been really hard because for the first while the medication she was on wasn't doing anything and seemed to make it worse. She got switched to something else recently and for the past week it's been going well, but she had a bad day today. And she can't tell if the new medication is working any better or if it's just naturally been a good week until now. She also says counselling doesn't seem to help much, but she has an appointment with a psychiatrist sometime... so maybe that's good?

I don't know how to make her feel better on her bad days... it's hard because she's always really grumpy, which I know isn't entirely her fault, but it makes me feel bad being around her. It seems like whenever I try to cheer her up I make it worse and it feels really awful. Her mood also causes her to be really short with me and often rude and it makes me angry.

My instinct is to avoid her when she's like this, but I know she's hurting so I want to try and be there but I'm just so frustrated and I don't know what to do. I just wish her medications would start working so that she doesn't have to feel like this anymore. We're extremely close and I love her very much and I hate seeing her this way, and I hate even more that it's making me angry because I know it's not her fault. I just want my sister back. Usually my go-to solution with stuff like this is communication, but I'm scared if I tell her these things it'll just upset her more, so I don't know what to do.

Rez May 10th 2016 04:23 AM

Re: Sister Dealing with Depression

If I was to give any advice to you, it would be to have patience with her. And lots of it. She's dealing with some pretty tough stuff and depression tends to make people act the way she does.

Let her know you love her. Let her know that you're there to listen. Give her a hug. Just talk with her. Be there for her. Letting her know that someone is there may not seem like anything to you, but it will mean the world to her.

DomoKay May 10th 2016 07:29 AM

I know that I act really not myself when I am depressed. Have you tried asking her, maybe on a good day, what would be the best way to try and support or help her? She may not know what is helpful, and that's okay. I think you need to be easy on yourself, I think it's admirable that you are so willing to help her. It must be really hard to watch her go through that. Depression is a long process. Counseling and figuring out meds is very grueling, but she will find something that helps soon. Please feel free to contact me if you would want to know more. Take care <3

Green Yoshi May 11th 2016 02:58 PM

I think that for you, it's better to be around her more often.. and make sure that you are very comforting with her (give her hugs ) and make sure to tell her the simplest things like " Well, no matter which way the sun sets ... even that isn't as absolute as our siblinghood. You're my sister, and I want you to remain my sister forever because I love you as who you are " and remember to keep things simple.

Perhaps what she needs are the simple things in life. The most complicated problems usually have the most simple answers. :) :hug:

You're a really good person and I'm proud of you!

Palmolive May 11th 2016 09:25 PM

Hello :)

Firstly, what a lucky sister your is to have you in her life. You sound so caring and that's great!

Secondly, medication can take several weeks, sometimes more to kick in and have their full effect. And in the meantime, they can have side affects such as headaches, sickness etc but also mentally too like suicidal thoughts, strong urges for the person to harm themselves, low moon and so on. I think it is important that your sister tries to stick this medication out for several weeks unless her doctor who prescribed her it suggests otherwise.

I struggle with low moods and depression and honestly sometimes I genuinely want to be left alone. However sometimes I want somebody with me so badly it hurts. So just offer your support and if she tells you to leave, I would leave but if she doesn't, let her know you're there for her to talk to and maybe you could both do some distractions together like watching a film or playing a game or even going out.

But just remember to look after yourself too. You are just as important in this as your sister is and you need to be well too.

Hope and wishes,
Jessie.